This recipe is typical U.P. style..as my father use to prepare this way back and also i don't know any other version ..I used equal(or more) amount of onion as mutton..Also lots of dried whole red chilies..Actually onion and chilies neutralize each other sweetness and hotness same time.So..Don't Worry !
Must use Red Onion as they are less sweet and very sharp in taste and plz plz plz...DON'T use Green Chilies in this recipe.Fresh made garam masala powder is must too !
|best companion of mutton !!|
1.25kg Red Onion(chopped)
15 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
1tbsp Crushed Ginger
10 Whole Red Chilies
3 Bay Leaves
1tbsp Coriander powder
1tsp Turmeric Powder
1tsp Chili Powder
2 Black Cardamom
4 Green Cardamoms
1tbsp Cumin seeds
1 Mace flower
1 inch Cinnamon Stick
Salt to taste
2tbsp Green Coriander(chopped)
- Marinade mutton with chili powder and turmeric powder for atleast 2 hour.
- Grind all whole spice other than chilies.
- Heat oil in heavy bottom pan(or pressure cooker).Add 1/3 of chopped onion,bay leaves and all red chilies.fry untill onion turns brown.now add half or remaining chopped onion.fry for another 5-7 minutes.
- Now add mutton pieces and fry on high heat for 5 minutes.than add remaining all onion.
- Fry for another 5 minutes on high heat.Finally add all powdered spices and stirr well.
- Add Salt and close the lid.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or till meat is tender.
- Garnish with green coriander and serve hot with bread of your choice.
# Frying onion in 3 batch is important otherwise it ll become very sweet in taste.
## It taste best with parathas.