This halwa is basically from mughal cuisine which used to be made for emperors ! This is quit different kind of indian sweet..texture wise its strechy shewy unlike other soft indian sweets,Also it is made of cornflour rather than milk.
Karachi Halwa(some call it Bombay halwa too) is my sister's favorite and she can have box full all alone !I never thought its that easy to make with just couple of ingredients..It could be made with arrowroot flour too but i haven't tried that yet.
1 Cup Cornflour
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 tsp Lemon juice
2 tbsp Ghee
2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Chopped Dry Nuts
1tsp Red Colour
- Mix cornflour with 1.5 Cup Water.
- Take sugar with remaining half cup of water in non deap stick pan.Put in on heat and make syrup.Switchoff the heat.
- Mix cornflour with sugar syrup.Place on medium heat again and keep stirring.
- it will get thicken gradually,add colour and In 8-10 minutes it will start become like dough.
- Now add 1tbsp of ghee and stirr..it will take few minutes to get absorbed.Now add remaining ghee and mix till it get absorbed fully.
- Finally add nuts and cardamom powder.Keep stirring untill you get shiny dough.
- Remove from heat.Spread it on greesed pan with wet spatuala. Let it set for an hour.
- Cut in desired shape and serve.
# You can mark pieces and press whole cashew/almond in each center of piece.
## DON'T add all ghee atonce otherwise you not be able to incorporate it with halwa.
### Instead of lemon juice tatri(pea size) or citric acid can also be used.