Pankaj just love chicken in any form and want very often (proof is no of chicken recipes in my blog ;) ),which gives me great opportunity to try new tastes and ingredients.This one i made first time on our last night dinner and was absolutely smashing ! Tamarind gives totally different kick which works with star anise and fennel flavors.
1Kg Chicken(medium sized pieces)
1/2 Cup coconut (grated)
6-8 cloves of Garlic
1Cup Onions(finely chopped)
2″ cinnamon stick
4-5 Red Chilies(dried)
1 tsp cumin seeds
10-12 whole pepper
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 whole star Anise
1.5 tbsp coriander seeds
1 Black Cardamom
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp tamarind paste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
Coriander leaves(for garnish)
- Roast coconut on medium heat till it turns brown. Keep aside
- Grind in a spice to form a smooth powder.
- Grind the roasted coconut, garlic, turmeric powder, prepared spice powder and just enough water to form a really smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a Deep pan and saute the onions till brown.
- Add the spice paste and saute stirring frequently om low heat till oil starts to separate.(around 10 minutes)
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Saute for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the tamarind paste and salt to taste and simmer till the chicken is cooked.
- Garnish with green coriander and serve hot.
# Adjust tamarind as per your taste buds.
## Whole red chilies are must.Powder will not give same flavor.
### I prefer fresh tamarind pulp over preserved one.
Sent to event :