Saoji ( Sahukar word comes from this)is basically an Indian community who were from business (like silk n weaving),frequently based in Maharashtra Gujarat and South region.Most of them are mainly non-vegetarian and They love their hot-n-spicy curries.This dish is very very popular in Maharashtra (in Nagpur specially).
While making this curry,freshly roast n ground spice mix gives it a very distinct flavor which will fill your whole home with aroma of it..Originally its like 10-15 red chilies is used but as its too much for us so I reduced to 6 (half d-seeded) ..Feel free to use as much as you like !
1 Kg Mutton
2 Green chilies
6 Whole Dry Red Chilies
2 Black Cardamoms
15 Black Pepper
3 Bay Leaves
1 Star aniseed
1tbsp Coriander seeds
1tbsp Poppy Seeds
1/4tsp Nutmeg Powder
1 Blade Mace
1tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 Lemon Juice
5tbsp Mustard Oil
2-3 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Marinade mutton with Turmeric,salt and lemon juice.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan and fry finely chopped onion till they golden brown.Drain them from oil and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Now fry all whole spices with coconut and poppy seeds in same oil for minute,drain and let it cool down too.
- Take fried spices and onions together in grinder and make fine paste.
- Make paste of ginger-garlic too.
- Heat the oil again in pan (or pressure cooker).Fry Bay leaves and ginger-garlic paste in it.
- Mix in mutton with chopped green chilies and fry for 10 minutes on high heat.
- Now add spice-onion paste and mix properly. Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Now add 3 Cup water and let it come to boil.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.Open lid and mix in chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with Roti or simple boiled Rice.
# I d seeded the chilies,you can use whole if want even hotter curry.
## Oil seems much but important for frying mutton.So if you don't like this much just remove from top of cooked curry.