This dish,also known as bharwan bhindi (भरवां भिंडी), is very popular in north India..At weddings there is always a stall of pan fried veggies like potatoes,tomatoes,capsicum,okra etc.there are several other versions of this..but,the recipe here is from eastern UP..People crave over for this...
Also,This spice mixture can be used for making any pan fried vegetables ...this is one of many spice powder mixture you can find in our kitchen along with Garam Masala,Sambhar Masala..
Steaming hot over the Pan,ready to be served !
250 gm Okra/Bhindi(medium size)
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Indian five spice/Panchforan*
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Dry mango powder
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Oil
- Wash and pat dry the okra.Cut the head and tails of all and keep aside.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and five spice on low heat in pan for minutes(until it starts crackling).remove it from pan and let it cool down for 2 minutes.
- Crush and make coarse powder of above spice.
- Mix in the all spices together in bowl.
- Make a slit in each okra and remove seeds and middle white cord carefully without tearing apart the okra.
- Stuff the some spice mixture in each okra slitting.
- Heat oil in frying pan over high heat.Fry 6-7 okra at a time for 1 minutes each side.Once all okras are fried.Place all okras over pan and switch off the flame.It will make the skin crispy.
- Serve hot as side dish with your main coarse.
#Sprinkle remaining spice mix over fried okra while serving.
* Panchforan : Its a mixture if five spices.. Fennel seeds+Nigella seeds+Mustard seeds +Fenugreek seeds+Cumin seeds in the ratio of 1:1:2:2:2