Zarda is basically Rich dish which is very famous in Muslim Community. Zarda word is actually come from Urdu word 'Zard' which means yellow (thats why some people call it yellow pulao too).Yellow color is used for coloring but i used red this time as its Feb
My Mom use to make them on very special occasion.From childhood she was the only one who made this perfectly in all families we knew.So many people don't even know the name of any such thing . As Mom is from Lucknow,so got this dish recipe from there only !
From her i got main tips for making this to perfection : DON'T stir rice after adding sugar otherwise rice will break and don't be kanzoos in adding Ghee (as she know i am very reluctant in using ghee/butter or oil)
Special touch from my Mom in Zarda is dry Khoya in final dish.I like it with Kulfi or Kesar-Pista Ice-cream.From warmth of Zarda, Kulfi starts melting and give very nice saucy sweet taste !(i recommend to try this)
1Cup Basmati Rice (i used broken Basmati )
3tbsp Sugar (Powdered)
2-3 Tbsp Ghee
1/2Cup Mix Dry Nuts
1 Bay Leaf
1/4tsp Yellow Color
1/2 Cup Khoya/Evaporated Milk
- Soak rice in 2 cup water for 1-2 hour.
- Put heavy bottom pan on heat.Add 2 tbsp Ghee.Fry bay leaf,clove and cardamom for few second.Add drained Rice in it.Fry for another 1 minutes.
- Add 2 Cup Water and let it boil,reduce heat to minimum.Cook till rice 3/4 cooked.
- Meanwhile fry the nuts in 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Rinse the rice and place again in the pot.Top it with Sugar,color,saffron and fried Nuts(with ghee).Close the lid and switch on the heat at lowest flame.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.Don't open the lid for another 5 minutes.
- If using khoya,mix it in and serve warm.
# You can serve it with Rabdi or kulfi too.
## You can make them in advance,Just warm it before serving.