Originally they are from China but in Nagaland also they are very famous.Even Kunal Kapoor once shown this in Master-chef Class.
I made them today at our breakfast,these were so soft in texture and healthier too,we simply love them..they can be made even without stuffing !! Just make sure to make at the time of serving as they are good only when warm otherwise you will get very chewy texture which will convert your hit into complete miss...
Here is the recipe of our favorite Bao Buns:
1.5+2tbsp Cup All purpose flour
1/2 Cup Warm Water
1/8tsp Baking powder
1Cup Chicken chunks
1/2tsp Chili powder
1/4tsp Garam Masala
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1tbsp Tomato ketchup
1tsp Soya Sauce
Salt to taste
- Mix yeast and sugar in 1tbsp of warm water and leave for 10 minutes.than mix oil in it.
- Take 1.5 cup flour and salt in bowl.Make a well in center and mix yeast mixture in it.
- Make soft dough by using warm water.Leave it for 2 hours at warm place.It will rise in double size.
- Stuffing:Heat oil in pan.Saute onion for 4-5 minutes.Add ginger-garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add chicken and all spices and fry for 2 minutes.Mix in the sauces and let it cook on low heat till its tender.
- Divide the dough in 15 balls.
- Take one ball in hand spread it in your hand and stuff it with 1tsp of stuffing and close,make ball and place on piece of parchment paper. (like you stuff for paratha)
- Place 5-6 in steamer at a time and steam for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with chili sauce.
# Serve when warm as it will get chewy once get cold.
## You can make stuffing as per your liking.