This crispy sweets with super soft center is one of the staple snacks in Varanasi just like Jalebi,Samose,Gol-gappe ! Everyday in evening you can see them all over the street-food stalls..My mom use to make them at holi festival with alot of other goodies,and i just love them all... :)
The name of this recipe is because of using cloves(laung) as main ingredient even though many people don't even use it ;) !
I love the filling plain just with the hint of clove powder,but you can add nuts if you like.Make sure you don't fill it tightly otherwise while frying melted khoya will come out and oil will fill in.
(for 5 laung-latas)
1 Cup All purpose Flour(Maida)
1/2Cup Cold Water
1tbsp Finely chopped nuts(optional)
1-2 Cardamom powder(optional)
Oil for deep frying
- Mix ghee with flour till it resemble to bread crumb. than make soft dough using cold water.
- Place a heavy bottom pan on heat with water and sugar,bring it to boil.Add 3 crushed Cloves.Make syrup of 1 thread consistency(will take around 4-5 minutes on low heat).Keep it in fridge to get cool down completely.
- Mix Khoya with nuts,clove(powdered),Cardamon powder and set aside.
- Make 5 portion from the dough.
- Take one ball,make a thin chapati using rolling pin.Put 1tsp of khoya mixture in centre.Fold the chapati from both side twice(it will look like square pocket).Follow same process to make all 5.
- Deep Fry them on medium heat till turns golden brown.Transfer and dip them directly to cold sugar syrup and close the lid.
- Remove from syrup after 1/2 hour.Serve warm and Store remaining in airtight container.
# Its very important to use cold sugar syrup otherwise loung-lata will not be crispy and become soggy.
Linked to Event :