Well...first HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
Its the 4th month of well known SNC Event and my 3rd Entry so far ......Now a days as soon as new month starts,i wait for the new recipe to try ! :)This month we,North Team,got the Vada-Curry as challenge from Ramya.
In north we make this dish too...difference is just type of lentil and some spices.(We use Urad or Moong dal instead of Chana Dal !)
One of the very regional recipe like this from Varanasi,you check here...
So,with any further delay,here is my recipe of Vada-Curry.
1 Cup Bengal gram/Chana Dal
2 Green chilies
1/2tsp Fennel Seeds
2-3 Red Chilies
1tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 Star anise
1tsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Turmeric powder
1tsp Chili powder
1tbsp Green coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1tbsp Oil+ Oil for deep frying
- Soak the chana dal in water for about 1 hour,drain them. grind it coarsely along with fennel seed, 1 green chili,1 red chili,1/2 tsp Salt and 1 tbsp water.
- Make a fine paste of onion,green chili.
- Heat 1 Cup oil in deep pan.Make small vadas of grind dal and fry them on medium heat till golden brown.Cut them in half and keep aside.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in pan.Add whole spices and 1 finely chopped onion.Saute till onion turns pink.
- Add onion paste,ginger-garlic paste and powder spices.Fry on low heat till oil comes on top.
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add 1Cup of water and let it get boiled on high heat.
- Finally add chana dal vadas and let it simmer on low heat for another 5minutes.
- Garnish with green coriander and serve hot with chapati or rice.
# After grinding the dal,you can rinse grinder with some water and use it to make gravy.This way you will get thicker gravy.
## While adding salt in gravy keep in mind that vadas also have salt in it.