FOR THE CAKE:
3/4cup unsalted Butter, softened
50gm dark Chocolate,chopped
3/4 cup Sugar
1.5tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
½ cup dark rum or Brandy
FOR THE GANACHE:
50gm dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1.5 cups heavy cream
2tbsp Cocoa powder
Make the cake:
- Heat oven to 325°. Line bottom of a 9" springform pan with parchment paper. Grease pan with 1 tbsp. butter.dust flour; shake to evenly coat inside. Invert and tap out excess flour; set pan aside.(or heat pressure cooker for 5minutes on high heat.)
- Melt chocolate in double boiler; melt. Set aside to let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the melted chocolate, butter, and sugar with a handheld mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour,baking powder and salt and mix until just combined.Add this in bowl and blend it for some time. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer to a rack,let cool. Invert and unmold cake. Cut cake horizontally into 3 even layers.
- Dissolve sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking occasionally, until syrup has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rum/brandy,let cool.
Make the ganache:
- Place chocolate in bowl of a standing mixer. Bring cream to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan; pour over chocolate; let sit for 5 minutes.Combine chocolate and cream. Let cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache reaches room temperature. Chill until ganache has the consistency of peanut butter, 2-3 hours. Whip on medium speed, 15–20 seconds.
Place bottom cake layer on a cardboard cake circle. Using a pastry brush, brush cake with one-third of rum syrup. Using a butter knife, spread some ganache evenly across cake top. Top with second cake layer and one-third of rum syrup; repeat process with remaining cake, rum syrup, and ganache. Spread remaining ganache over cake. Press chocolate shavings onto sides.