1/2 cups grated coconut
1cup Coconut milk
1.5tbsp vegetable Oil
6 whole dried red chilies
1.5 tsp coriander seeds
1/8 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1-inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
5 Black pepper
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp tamarind powder/paste
1.5 cups chopped onions
1tbsp fresh ginger paste
750-800gm chicken pieces
salt to taste
- In a skillet, over a low heat, put 1 or 2 tbsp of the oil just to grease the pan and saute the coconut for 5 minutes or until brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 1tsp of oil just to grease the pan and saute the dried red chilies for 2-3 minutes, then add the coriander, mustard,fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cloves and tumeric, in this order. Stir continuously one minutes after putting in the last item, remove from heat.
- Put above spices into a blender with fried coconut,tamarind, half the onion, the ginger and garlic, and 1tbsp of coconut milk and blend to make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute the remaining chopped onion until medium-brown.
- Add the spice paste together with a little water and saute for 10 mins on medium heat, then add the chicken and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the half of coconut milk and salt to taste. Add 1 cup of water. Cook over a low heat, covered, until the chicken is almost done, then add remaining coconut milk and the curry leaves, and boil for just 1-2 minutes.
# Use only dried red chilies, not fresh/paste/powder.
## For coconut milk:Soak 1 cup of grated coconut in 1 cup of warm water for 30 minutes, then put it into a blender to obtain the 1st extract of milk. Strain and reserve.