Its a regional dish from Varanasi which i got from my maid on my last visit to my home !!
Mostly this is the preparation for rainy season,when there is lesser veggies in market.
This time i made this with Urad Dal..but it can be prepared by masoor or moong dal too.
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1tsp Garam masala powder
1/2tsp Red chili powder
1/2tsp Coriander powder
1" Cinnamon stick
Salt to taste
- Make rough paste of dal without adding any water.
- Make paste of onion,ginger,garlic and cumin seeds.
- Boil 3cup of water with 1tsp oil,1/2tsp salt and hing.once it start boiling bring heat on low.
- Make balls from 1tsp of dal paste(use wet hand) and drop it in boiling water slowly.they will float on top after 1minute.
- Remove from water after 5minutes and let it cool down.Don't though remaining water,it will be used in gravy.
- Shallow fry these balls and keep aside.
- Heat oil in deep pan.Add onion paste and all spice powder.Let it cook for 5-6minutes on lowest heat.
- Now add 1.5Cup of water(in which we boiled those balls) and let it come to boil.
- Add fried balls and let it cook with closed lid for 7-8 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Roti or Rice.
# Make sure make rough paste otherwise balls will not be soft.
##Adjust gravy as per your need.
### While adding salt keep in mind that there is salt in water already.